A segment is created by data that are already stored in profile cloud. All data that are available can be utilized to be part of a segment. Attributes, events or session data from any source such as web data collection, iOS app, integrated CRM, email platform or any other kind of data that are available in profile cloud.
Go to the Segmentation app from the top-navigation menu under “Enrich”.
Click on the tab “Segments” and “Create new segment”.
On the left hand menu all data available are selectable by dragging the data elements to the canvas (it’s also possible to double click on each element).
Data are categorised as events and profile attributes. Session data however are categorised as events in the segmentation app.
Define your segment by selecting the data element you want to include or exclude in the in the segment.
When the element is added, there will be different options available depending on what kind of data element you have selected.
By not doing anything with the added event element, profile cloud will include all profiles that have at some point triggered the event. Profile attributes will however always need to be defined by clicking on the added attribute and fill in the options.
*In this case Profile Cloud will include all profiles that have at any point visited the service page.
Click on the element and several options will appear. “What”, “When”, “How often”.
- What: Depending on the event, different options will be available. If the event is populating any data values such as page name, product name or any other value that has been defined when the event was created it will be available when selecting “with session/event data”. (If no option appears, the event is simply not saving any data values in Profile Cloud).
Select what data to define session or event data and add the match type from the drop-down list and manually add the “Value to match”.
Note that in order to define “value to match” you need to be aware of the values that are triggered by the event. If you don’t know this, please contact your organization Profile Cloud admin.
- When: Define the time period of when this event has triggered. By selecting the type of period in the drop-down list, by minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or between dates. Drag the two buttons along the timeline to specify the number of the selected type.
- How often: How often this event must have happened in order to include a user/profile in the segment. Drag the button across the timeline.
- Include and/or exclude: There are no limitations on the number of data elements to include in the segment. Create your segments by adding one or several data elements and combine them in different ways by using exclude/include functionality.
- When adding more than one data element, define whether you want the logic “AND” or “OR” by clicking on the button.
- Include or exclude the data element by clicking on the plus sign on the element or by clicking on the plus sign for the whole canvas.