Profile Cloud generates by default a random cookie and unique cookie ID for any visitor on your website. The ID has this format: “dloo1ox9vhq3kqu9j6dfdfewcymwh7a0T” and is by default the profile ID. Profile Cloud identifies your visitors on your website by this ID and it can also be found in the “profile overview” app in the interface.
In order to tie your users' behaviour across devices and web sessions (if cookies are erased), a cookie ID is not enough as there are no ways to be able to identify the same user on different devices if there is no identification on each device. The identification is in most cases a login but can also be a registration, email sign up, click on an email sent from your organization or any other identification process. By defining another unique ID such as email address, customer ID or any other ID that your organization are using makes it possible to tie behaviour on all your channels on different devices to a single profile. Use the same ID to connect offline data and data that you have in other systems.
There are numerous of benefits by setting a new profile ID.
- Connect offline and online data to one single profile.
- Track user behaviour on different devices and channels.
- More qualitative data on your customer’s behaviour.
- More qualitative re-targeting by communicating with the same message through all your channels.
Set a new profile ID in Web data collection
Define a new profile ID, for example, an email address, customer ID or any other ID that are unique to your users.
- Go to the web data collection app and create a new event definition.
- Create a data value that is picking up or receiving the ID (How the ID is collected is depending on your website and the specific case)
- Connect it to building block “Set profile ID”. “Set profile ID” should be set under event data.
- When the event is triggered Profile Cloud will now automatically set this ID as the profile ID and it can be viewed and searched on in the profile overview app.